Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chocolate Lined Waffle Cone Fruit Bowls

Pin It Now!

While researching for ideas for my son's 3rd birthday party, I came across a great idea on pinterest.  Put cut up fruit in a waffle cone (like the big ones that you get at the ice cream store), instead of a regular bowl or plate.  I thought that was great (I love waffle cones).  So when it came time, I went to the store and stood in front of the ice cream cone section, pondering my options.  There were big ones, small ones, cheap ones, expensive ones, so many choices.  And then, my sister looks at me and says "How about the waffle bowls, they will sit nicer."  Oh my gosh!  Total epiphany!  Duh, bowls would be so much easier!  So I bought 4 boxes.

On the day of the party, we made a yummy fruit salad from watermelon, strawberries, nectarines, and grapes.  As people were getting their lunch we filled the bowls so they wouldn't get soggy.  They looked great, they were yummy, and who doesn't like a waffle cone?  Unfortunately, the bottoms did get soggy on the ones that sat for a bit (I know what your thinking, why would you put watermelon in them if you didn't want them to get soggy? Easy-I needed filler :)  )  Well, I still think these are a great, easy, and fun way to present fruit salad for a party, but I had a stroke of brilliance last night, and can now solve the soggy bottoms problem.  ADD CHOCOLATE!  Yes, you heard me right, add chocolate.  Just like a drum stick ice cream cone.  They line them with chocolate so they don't get soggy.  When I do these again, I will do the same.  Waffle cone, fruit, AND chocolate, man it just keeps getting better!

To make ones that don't get soggy, here is what I would do:

If you like this, don't forget to Pin it!

Chocolate Lined Waffle Cone Fruit Cups

Ingredients:
  • 1 package waffle cone bowls (approximately 10 bowls)
  • 1 (12 oz) package semi sweet or milk chocolate chips
  • Cut up fresh fruit
Directions:
  1. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second increments until completely melted, stirring in between.
  2. Pour a spoonful of chocolate into a waffle bowl, and either tilt the bowl to distribute the chocolate evenly over the inside, or use a spoon or knife to spread it out over the inside.  
  3. Repeat with remaining bowls.
  4. Place in fridge until the chocolate hardens again.
  5. Remove from fridge and fill with the cut up fruit right before serving.
  6. Enjoy!  If there is any chocolate left, it can always be remelted and drizzled on top of the fruit for a little extra indulgence.

10 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I'm sure it's tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I would probably skip the fruit and go straight to filling it with ice cream :)

      Delete
  2. That sounds delicious! Your blog might be a bad influence, I have a sweet tooth!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one too (obviously), and it is a bad influence on me too :) All I want to make are sweets, I am using a ton of self control not too!

      Delete
  3. Visiting from Flamingo Toes Link party. These look yummy!!! The chocolate is a stoke of brilliance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How far in advance can you make and keep these? I have an event this Saturday and want to make them ahead of time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How far in advance can you make and keep these? I have an event this Saturday and want to make them ahead of time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would make the bowls ahead of time enough for the chocolate to set up, but I would not add the fruit until people are ready to take them to eat, so they don't get soggy.

      Delete
  6. Welcome to Gelato Supply Australia's leading manufacturer and supplier of
    Gelato pans, cones, spoons, ice cream scoop freezer, pan liners and much more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...