Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Double Chocolate Zucchini Brownies

Pin It Now!

Sometimes what my toddler will eat surprises the heck out of me, like the fact that he has beef jerky radar and will be my husbands best and most attentive friend the moment that package opens.  Unfortunately when it comes to vegetables, his likes are limited to peas (definitely did not get that from me) and corn (I use the term vegetable very loosely).  He did however get blessed with my sweet tooth (sorry kiddo).  When I saw the recipe for Triple Chocolate Zucchini Brownies from Sweet Pea's Kitchen, I thought that maybe I could sneak some veggies in him (and my husband and I) that way instead. 

I did not have white chocolate chips, nor do we really like nuts in our brownies, so hence the "double" instead of "triple" chocolate brownie.  I am posting the recipe exactly as written from Sweet Pea's Kitchen though, because why mess with a good thing if you don't have to.

I made these in a 9x13 and cut them into 24 brownies just to make the calories less per serving.  Do whatever works for you, I am just used to thinner brownies.  They came out absolutely the most moist brownies I have ever had, were wonderfully chocolatey, and the zucchini was hardly noticeable, if at all.  I would love to freeze them and try them, I think it would awesome and extra fudgey that way too.  My son liked them and never said anything about anything green in them :)  If you have some zucchini laying around and a terrible chocolate tooth like me, this is the best of both worlds! Another win for Sweet Pea's Kitchen!

P.S.- Don't worry if you mix all the ingredients together (before adding the zucchini) and it is a very stiff paste.  Once you add the zucchini, there is so much moisture in them that a minute of stirring and you will have something that resembles the brownie batter we all know and love.

Triple (or Double) Chocolate Zucchini Brownies
(From Sweet Pea's Kitchen)
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
  • 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini (leave the skin on and use the small holes of the grater)
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Butter the bottom and sides of an 8X8 inch metal baking pan (or a 9x13 for thin brownies). Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. Place another piece of parchment paper in the same manner, perpendicular to the first sheet. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.)
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, allspice and cinnamon; set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, sugar, vanilla, and oil until combined, about 15 seconds. Stir in the flour mixture until just combined (batter will be thick). Fold in the zucchini, walnuts, white chocolate and semisweet chocolate chips. Pour mixture into prepared pan, spread into corners, and level surface with rubber spatula; bake until slightly puffed and toothpick inserted in center comes out with a small amount of sticky crumbs clinging to it, 35 to 40 minutes (about 32 min for 9x13). Cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours.
  4. Using parchment overhang, lift brownies from pan. Cut into squares and serve.
Yields: 16 brownies (or 24 thin brownies from the 9x13)

15 comments:

  1. These turned out great!! So happy to see that you enjoyed them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. These definitely sound GREAT
    I'd love to try these :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these! Any way I can sneak veggies into my Children's diets is a win! These are a triple win! Can't wait to try, Thanks for sharing, pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look great! we have zucchini coming out of our ears - in fact, i'm hosting a 'zillions of zucchini' link up on friday - hope you'll stop by for it. i'm pinning this for later :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to let you know I featured this as part of my link party wrap up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very unusual combination. Bet it's good though. Great way to get your kids to eat their veggies LOL. I would make the triple chocolate like you did, because I don't much care for white chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For some reason it wouldn't let me leave a comment on your donuts, which look absolutely divine! I will be trying that recipe!!

    And as for these brownies! Oh my!! I can tell from your picture how incredibly moist they are! I'm probably going to have to try these too! :)

    Thanks so much for sharing both recipes at Mom's Test Meal Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your brownies are being featured this week at Mom's Test Meal Mondays!! Come by and grab a button!!

      Have a great weekend!!

      Delete
    2. Aww thanks! That is so great!

      Delete
  9. These look so delish!!! Way to eat those veggies!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look fabulous. What a great way to sneak in some veggies! Thanks for sharing on Marvelous Mondays. :)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another beautiful recipe! I'm featuring your recipe this week over at Addicted to Recipes! http://iamaddictedtorecipes.blogspot.ca/2012/08/scrumptious-sunday-25-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another great recipe!! Thanks so much for sharing at Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch. I hope you will link up again. The party will be live with features tomorrow night. www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...